Hale Boggs Federal Building & Courthouse
The Hale Boggs Federal Building and United States District Courthouse, located in downtown New Orleans, is three blocks from Moses Engineers’ Poydras St. office. Moses Engineers designed the electrical system of this 14-story office building and 6-story court building, built in 1976.
In 1988, Moses Engineers provided the mechanical, electrical and M & I services for a major central plant retrofit. We removed the steam boilers and absorption chillers and two 800-ton electrical centrifugal chillers, then installed three 6000-mbh gas boilers. Four 28,200-MBH cooling towers were installed with new condenser water pumps. During this conversion, the building remained in operation without interruption.
In 1991, the General Services Administration selected Moses Engineers for an Indefinite Delivery Indefinite Quantity (IDIQ) Contract. After four successive renewals, Moses Engineers was again awarded another IDIQ GSA contract in 1996 and again in 2001. We are currently completing our last projects for that IDIQ (2009) in our unprecedented third 5 year contract with GSA.
In 1995, Moses Engineers provided the mechanical, electrical and structural engineering services for the new 6th floor crossover bridge connecting the two buildings. This project included a new sallyport, reversing elevator operations and modifications to three Office tower floors and the marshal’s office. We completed all work without a single building shutdown.
In 2004, Moses Engineers, in joint venture with Huitt-Zollar, provided the design services for a $22 million renovation of the building’s utility infrastructure. The construction was completed in 2009 and included the following major components:
- 55 air handling units replaced.
- four floors renovated for variable air volume HVAC, new lighting and ceilings.
- domestic water booster systems replaced and upgraded.
- domestic hot water heaters replaced.
- main switchgear replaced.
- all building transformers and associated panels replaced and upgraded.
- emergency switchgear refurbished.
- 17 elevators including all new cabs modernized.
- all bathrooms, water coolers, door hardware and signage upgraded to ADA compliance.
- new Class A fire alarm system installed.
- two 900-ton centrifugal electric chillers and one 300 ton chiller provided.
- three 6,000-mbtu slant tube design heating hot water boilers provided
- two cooling towers each with two cells at 550 tons each provided.
In addition to the major projects above, we also completed the following projects in the Boggs Federal Building and Courthouse Complex for GSA :
- 8th floor Boggs, U.S. Attorney’s Office renovated.
- M & I Services provided for 8th floor Hale Boggs Bld., asbestos abatement, 9th floor Hale Boggs Bldg., fire safety modifications, first impressions, and handicap parking.
- Structural analysis, design and M & I for 8th floor shelving.
- Coast Guard Rooftop Antenna Mount designed.
- window design and masonry repairs.
- space alterations designed.
- computer room renovation for Office Bldg.
- Existing Conditions Report (ECR) prepared.
- Building Engineering Report (BER) prepared.
- Feasibility Report prepared.
- Program Development Study (PDS) prepared.
- AHU No. 18 for Lobby replaced.
- Holding cell ventilation analyzed and replaced.